I always have such optimism going in to a long Holiday weekend. I have all these amazing plans of everything I’m going to accomplish and how I am going to spend those precious one on one moments home with the kiddos. It’s not often that we get to spend four days in a row where there is no work, no daycare, and just family time.
However, now that the weekend is over, I am 100% ready to go back to work and I am ready to throw my kids out the window (that’s a joke for all of you ready to call CPS on me). It’s a blessing and a curse that we do not have much family that live near us. On one hand, we do not have to travel to (or host) a big Thanksgiving feast. But, on the other hand, we do not have anyone to give us any sort of break from taking care of a house full of kiddos for 96 hours. Here is a realistic look at Thanksgiving weekend by the numbers at my house.
- I threatened something about Santa watching 242 times.
- I asked the question, “why are you crying?” 143 times.
- Callum bit Jacek 3 times.
- I changed 125 poopy diapers.
- I left the house 2 times total.
- I did a good Mom thing 1 time and made a “pie” with the kids. (shout out to pillsbury.com for giving me an easy recipe!)
- I went through 12 boxes of Kleenex (why do kids’ noses never stop running?).
- I took 4 naps!
- I said “chocolate or poop?” at least 2 different times.
- Harlow tested out 3 different accents and I have no idea where they came from.
- I stepped on 1,364,761 Legos.
- 3 seconds…the amount of time I had in the bathroom by myself before someone knocked on the door (or came in). Every.Single.Time
- I mentioned that I needed wine 376 times.
- I broke up 723 fights between Harlow and Jacek.
- I broke up 52 fights between Harlow, Jacek, and Callum.
- I gave up and just egged on Callum and Jacek.
- I made 17 forts.
- I took a total of 1 shower in 4 days.
- I said the phrase “are you being a good listener?” 526 times.
- I did 9 loads of laundry.
- I folded 0 loads of laundry.
- And I laid in bed and reflected on how lucky I am 4 nights in a row.
Because, even though the days are chaotic, and I need a break sometimes, I am truly blessed and thankful that I have four healthy kids, a loving husband, a healthy baby on the way, and all of our needs met. And, my kids love me unconditionally. They do not care that I showered once in four days, and they love the fact that I made 17 forts. I did not get my to-do list accomplished, but I was able to spend every moment making memories with my kids. And I’ll take those special memories with me wherever I go.