It’s mid-November, which means “the Holidays” are in full swing, people are either delighted or pissed off that Christmas music is on the radio, men are hairier than usual, and it’s a good time to think about all the things you are thankful for. In my crazy and imperfect life, I have a lot of things I am thankful for, and here is the list of my top 5:
The top 5 things I am thankful for this year:
1. Four Healthy Kids Who Keep Me on My Toes:
I’m thankful for Michaela for releasing my motherly instincts the moment I met her, and for making sure I’m reminded everyday that I’m really not that cool.
I’m thankful for Harlow for her wild imagination and for teaching me that everyone’s farts have a different flavor.
I’m thankful for Jacek/Batman/Superman/Ninja (whatever he’s asking to be called for the day) for being such a sweet boy with a touch of asshole to keep me grounded, and for loving me more than he loves his dad.
And, I’m thankful for Callum for being such an easy going, smiley, chill man-baby who can eat more than his three older siblings combined.
2. The Little Things That Help Me Survive Day To Day: Everyone has their secret weapons behind the scenes that they use to make it through life, and I am thankful for mine. This list includes:
- dry shampoo
- really good concealer
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch
- spray on wrinkle releaser for my clothes (I don’t remember the last time I used an iron)
- morning quickies
- second day jeans
- BeachBody on Demand (the public doesn’t need to see me do burpees)
- the carpool lane
- wine (yes, I know I already said that)
3. Friends Who Understand: I have an amazing group of friends who totally get me. I’m thankful for friends that understand why I don’t call or text because I’m living in a crazy distracted bubble of motherhood, but still take the initiative to reach out to me. I’m thankful for friends who also understand it’s just easier if you come over instead of trying to schedule a time and place for me to get out of my house with real pants on and meet for a drink. And, I’m thankful for friends who understand that trying to have a conversation with me when my kids are around is nearly impossible because there will be about 725 interruptions every ten minutes, but they still attempt to do it anyway.
4. My Amazing Hubby!
I won the husband lottery, and I am so thankful! I’m thankful that not only is he my best friend, an amazing dad, tall, dark and handsome, and my partner in crime, but he also makes my lunch for me every morning before work (and slips in some of the kids’ Halloween candy for dessert!). I’m thankful that he loads the dishwasher, does the laundry, and plays an equal part putting the kids to bed at night (even if I notice the kids wake up with their pajamas on backwards some mornings). AND, I’m thankful that after all these years, he still finds me irresistible and wants to have sex with me even when I’m wearing my Invisalign, rocking dry shampoo for the 3rd day in a row, and might be wearing granny panties (you know, the ones you have to wear because nothing else is clean?)!
5. Baby Cowen #5: With everything I just told you about my amazing hubby, you’d figure I’d be pregnant again sooner rather than later, right?!? YES! We did it! We are back at it with a new little one arriving in May 2018. We are all super excited and can’t wait to add some more craziness to our family!
So there you go! I have a ton to be thankful for! I hope you all take the time to reflect on all that you are thankful for, and make sure those around you know that you appreciate them, too!