Family · mom · Mom Moments · truth

Baby Boy Cowen is Finally Here!

After all of the waiting, stress, and failed attempts at trying to induce myself, our baby boy is finally here!  His birth story is a good one, and will probably make every other woman who has had a baby hate me.  We finally had our induction scheduled for October 29th at 7:30am.  We were at the hospital all evening on October 28th, only to be sent home because I actually was not going into labor naturally like we had thought.  But, the doctor said she could induce me the next morning.  Mark and I made sure our bags were packed and got some decent sleep before the big day.

We woke up the next morning, took showers, got ready, and kissed the kids goodbye.  Mark’s dad had the privilege of staying with the other three kids while we were off on our adventure.  We were a little hungry, so we each grabbed an egg McMuffin on our way.  It felt like we were going on a vacation.  We had the suitcase in the car, grabbed breakfast, and we were freshly showered.  It was amazing.

When we got to the hotel (I mean hospital), we checked in, got to our room, and I got into my beautiful (hospital) gown.  Shortly after, the doctor came in, broke my water, and then we just hung out for a little bit.  I was still only at a 3 and not having any contractions.  The nurse started me on pitocin, and we waited some more.  It was so nice hanging out with Mark without any distractions.  Yeah, we were in a hospital about to have a baby, I still had “water” leaking out of me, I was hooked up to machines, and contractions were starting, BUT we weren’t being interrupted by or chasing kids around!  We were really enjoying our time together!

At about 10:30am, we turned on the TV because the Michigan vs. Michigan State football game was going to start at 11am.  We wanted to watch the pregame show.  At about the same time, my contractions were getting pretty intense, so I requested an epidural.  Right as the game was about to start, the epidural team (I swear there were like 15 people in the room at this time because students were learning and training) came in and did their thing.  I laughed and joked with the anesthesiologist about football, he stuck the giant needle in my back, and I laid back down to watch the game.

For those of you who do not know, I went to the University of Michigan, and I am a die hard fan.  The Michigan vs. Michigan State game is always a big game as there is a pretty healthy rivalry between the two schools.  I was pretty happy that we were still able to watch the game even though I was going to have a baby that day.

Go Blue!

Around noon, the game was well into the second quarter and Michigan was winning.  Mark mentioned that he was getting hungry and said he was going to go grab lunch in the cafeteria.  I stopped him.  I was feeling a little pressure and told him to wait until after the nurse checked me.  The nurse who was there was covering for our actual nurse who was on her lunch break and she told me to wait for her to come back.  After a few minutes, Mark mentioned lunch again.  I requested that my nurse come check me because I was feeling a little pressure again and didn’t want Mark to miss anything.20161029_130607

My nurse came in.  She checked me.  I was complete.  She called the doctor in.  Michigan scored a field goal.  We turned the TV off.  Mark held a leg.  The doctor told me to push.  I did.  And with one push, the baby was born.

That’s it.  It was that easy.  Mark was a little disappointed because he was all ready to coach and help, but he really didn’t end up doing anything. 🙂

Callum Dennis Cowen was born at 12:14pm, weighing in at 9 lbs 9 oz and 21.5 inches long.  He was finally born at 39 weeks and 3 days…1 week before my sister’s wedding, and 5 days before we had to leave for our 11 hour road trip. 20161029_164003

After the doctor was finished with everything she needed to do after the delivery (I ended up with 2 small stitches), and
the baby went through his tests, they brought him over to me to nurse and we turned the game back on.  Halftime was just about over, and we watched the rest of the game in the delivery room!  Michigan ended up winning, and just as the game came to a close, we were moved to our postpartum room for the rest of the stay.  The kids came to visit later that afternoon to meet their new baby brother, and by 1pm the next day, we were discharged and our vacation was over.

I joke and call it a vacation, but that’s because I already know what happens when we get home from the hospital.  Stay tuned for my next post on our crazy week immediately following Callum’s birth!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s